Exercise: Upright Row
Purpose: Strengthen Deltoids & Trapezius Muscles
- Hold the dumbbells so that your palms are facing your thighs.
- Pull the weights up, keeping them close to your body, and finish with the weights even with your collarbone.
- Elbows are slightly higher than your shoulders.
- Exhale as you pull the weights upwards. Inhale as you lower the weights.
Exercise: Mid Row
Purpose: Strengthens primarily the muscles of the mid back (Rhomboids) and Lats.
- Stand with feet shoulder width apart, lean forward so you are slightly bent over with your weight mostly over your heels. Back is flat in a neutral position. Activate the muscles of your Glutes (your butt muscles) to protect your low back while performing the exercise.
- With weights hanging down, and palms facing in towards each other pull the weights up towards your armpits or rib cage.
- Hold for one second at the top of the movement, then inhale as you slowly lower the weights with control.
Further options to try:
To activate different areas of your back, try performing the Mid Row with either of these options:
a) Palms outward (away from thighs)
b) Palms inward (toward your thighs)
Things to Avoid:
Arching your back or rounding your back. (Maintain a neutral position through the entire movement)
Reps and Sets:
3 sets of 12-15 reps to start.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me here.